Diabetes Art Day. Get your helping of diabetes stew.

It’s Diabetes Art Day once again! Founded by Lee Ann Thill in 2010, Diabetes Art Day is designed to help people affected by diabetes connect through creativity. It’s all about expressing how you feel about diabetes. Really, the thought-provoking art that has already been produced on this special day is nothing short of amazing. And it’s only going to get bigger from here.

I’m not going to kid you and tell you that I’m good at art, but I did create a little something this year. Honestly, I’m slightly embarrassed at this offering. But at least I tried. And I get it… it’s important to express yourself creatively sometimes, because it helps you tap into your feelings a little deeper than what goes on at the surface.

The idea of my photography piece is to leave an impression of the many things (drugs, infusion sets, reservoirs, pumps, CGMs, glucose tabs, insulin pens and pen needles, meters, lancets and lancing devices, and more) that are part of our lives Every.Single.Day.

As I was filling the pot with “ingredients”, I started to get a feeling of the overwhelmingness of it all. I mean, that’s a lot of baggage to carry around, so to speak. And that’s just the outward-facing part.

If you’re lucky enough to not be living with diabetes, you may not be aware of a lot of the things that are part of our lives all the time. If that’s the case, dig in and have a heaping helping of some Diabetes Stew.

DSC01334

If you’re living with or affected by diabetes, I encourage you to create something on this day. Once you do, upload your Diabetes Art Day project (which will undoubtedly be better than mine) here. You can also use Facebook and Twitter (hashtag: #DArtDay) to share your work, and you can share your work on any of the diabetes social networking sites like Diabetes Daily, dLife, and TuDiabetes.

I am definitely looking forward to what I’ll see on yet another fun and exciting Diabetes Art Day.

Advertisements
Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Comments

• Courtney  On February 3, 2014 at 9:51 am

I like it. I’m not particularly artsy either, but I feel it’s important that we contribute what we can. Your picture is a good glimpse into what we have to deal with, from a physical baggage standpoint. I often wonder how guys deal with all of the STUFF when they don’t carry a bag all the time. Good job!

• StephenS  On February 3, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Thanks Courtney! As a guy who doesn’t like to carry a bag, or briefcase? I do it by stuffing things in big pockets. To be honest, I don’t use all of the things in that photo today, but when I started pulling everything out, I started getting memories of how I felt when I used all of the different drugs and devices. That’s the overwhelming part of it for me.

• Karen  On February 3, 2014 at 11:50 am

What??? Embarrassed???? No way – I think this is a fantastic piece of artwork. And so far, it is the first one that has moved me to tears, as I can completely understand those feelings of being overwhelmed by it all.

• Heather Gabel  On February 3, 2014 at 3:42 pm

It’s a beautiful stew! We use a lot of the same gear. Thank you for braving it out and participating. You’re awesome.

• StephenS  On February 3, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Thanks… that’s very kind of you! I wanted to participate to be supportive, but I was surprised by how it made me feel. Which I guess is the idea of D-Art Day in the first place.

• Kim  On February 3, 2014 at 10:29 pm

This made me smile! You underestimate your artistic tendencies. 🙂

• StephenS  On February 4, 2014 at 7:04 am

Thanks! I think I’m good at concept, so-so at execution. But we can’t all be Jackson Pollack, you know?

• Probably Rachel  On February 4, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Excellent illustration! I like the idea of Diabetes Art Day, but I have never participated. Partly because I’m not artistic and partly because I don’t plan a project far enough in advance!

There’s something to be said for a recipe for living well with diabetes beyond the ingredients. There are measurements, temperatures and timing to balance.

• Mike Hoskins  On February 4, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Better than bacon?! Love the image of us having to mix everything together and stir, and so often our D-management just doesn’t come out as the recipe is pictured! Thanks for taking part, Stephen!