A fun day on the glucoaster.

CINCINNATI, OHIO– Reds Opening Day here is a blast. It really is like a holiday here in the city where professional baseball started in 1869. Kids still play hooky from school and adults still blow off work for the afternoon. Thousands pack the streets to see the Findlay Market parade wind its way through downtown. 45,000-plus pack the ballpark for the game.

I had a great time, even though my team lost. But unfortunately, I also took an unexpected ride on the glucoaster most of the day. Here’s how it went down.

After a site change first thing in the morning, I had breakfast and bolused accordingly. My brother-in-law Bob (they’re his tickets) and I decided to get a workout in at the downtown YMCA. Prior to leaving(about 10:45), my BG was at 147 mg/dL. Just about perfect. So I go and get a good swim in. After, I felt kinda lousy. Nauseous, even. That never happens to me after a workout. I didn’t check right away, figuring I would feel better after a shower. I was wrong.

When I checked after showering, I had my proof: 51 mg/dL. I treated, and then we went to lunch. By then, I was at 92 mg/dL.

Well, we ate lunch and I bolused accordingly. Or so I thought. Anyway, we headed for the ballpark.

The game started at around 4:00, so I knew there was a good chance that I’d be eating dinner at the ballpark. After such a long winter, that actually has a nice ring to it. I checked quickly (because there isn’t one easy place to test there) before hitting the concession stand. I was 173 mg/dL, but I thought I had it under control. And I was wrong again.

I had a Big Red Smokey (too hard to explain… Just look it up) and a small overpriced beer. And I ate about a third of a soft pretzel that Bob and I shared. Really… I bolused for all of this. But when we got back after a thirteen inning loss by my Reds, my BG stood ominously at 391 mg/dL. So now it’s a correction bolus and tons of water the rest of the night.

By 10:30, I had it down to 292 mg/dL. By 11:30 (no more boluses since 8:30), I was at 196. That would have to do. After a long day, I was too tired to fight it any longer.

It was a fantastic day full of pomp and circumstance, partying and reverie. Can’t wait to do it again next year. But honestly, I would have liked it better with a working pancreas. Or better working robot parts.

Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.


  • theperfectd  On April 2, 2013 at 10:37 am

    And that’s why you can’t let your diabetes get in the way of your fun. (And to trust your body when it tells you it’s nauseous. Never steered me wrong on that one.) Hope today is better!


  • seejendance  On April 2, 2013 at 12:33 pm

    I seem to be having a day like that today. :-/


  • scully  On April 3, 2013 at 9:06 am

    Yuckity yuck yuck. I’m glad you were still able to enjoy it. Often when I’m like that I am a useless unhappy miserable turd.


  • Scott K. Johnson  On April 3, 2013 at 7:34 pm

    What a ride, Stephen! Like Scully said, sounds like you were still able to enjoy the experience.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: